Davie Trust grants help Barnstaple youngsters
- Credit: Archant
Money from well known charitable trust helps with Lego, boats and much more.
THE latest grants from the Davie Barnstaple Trust have gone towards helping young people in the town.
A grant of £1,000 has to Yeo Valley School’s Lego Club, plus £650.40 to Barnstaple Pilot Gig Club’s junior section.
The trust was set up in 2005 by members of the Davie family, which has a long standing connection to Barnstaple.
The trustees are Michael and Mark Davie, Charmain Brewin plus town councillors Arthur Windsor and Val Elkins. They meet annually to decide what good causes they will support in the coming year, with a broad remit to support younger people.
You may also want to watch:
The after school Lego Club meets once a week and has proved popular – headteacher Jan Reid said thanks to the trust they could now extend it to other age groups.
“The club helps extend the children’s’ manual dexterity with building and also with ideas, as well as share with each other and co-operate,” she said.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
The money for the gig club will go towards new kit for the junior section, known as The Barum Blades and aged 11-15.
“A big thank you to the board of the trust for their generous contribution,” said club chairman Keith Baker.
“They have entered some race regattas this season and are developing into quite the team with the help and support of their coach, Sarah Rendle.”
This year the trust has awarded £4,500 to Barnstaple Sea Cadets for repairs to its headquarters, plus £4,920 to Saunton Sands Surf Life Saving Club for new equipment.
Groups that wish to apply for grants are invited to write to: The Secretary, The Davie Barnstaple Trust, The Hollies, West Felton, Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11 4JU or contact Councillors Arthur Windsor or Val Elkins at Barum House, The Square, Barnstaple.