Dave's double channel challenge
DAVE Worms of Fremington will be swimming the channel next week – in the North Devon Leisure Centre pool. Dave is partially disabled following an assault when serving as a police officer 19 years ago. Swimming is a way of him keeping fit and maintaining m
DAVE Worms of Fremington will be swimming the channel next week - in the North Devon Leisure Centre pool.
Dave is partially disabled following an assault when serving as a police officer 19 years ago. Swimming is a way of him keeping fit and maintaining movement.
He now works as a special needs support worker and also coaches
at Barnstaple Swimming Club and Saunton Surf Lifesaving Club.
You may also want to watch:
Dave is hoping his 21-mile swim - 1,388 lengths of the 25m pool - will take no longer than 12 hours.
He is taking on the challenge next Tuesday to raise money for Bideford charity Wings South West as part of its Big Swim 2010 when a team of six, including Dave, will be taking to the choppy waters of the English Channel for real at the beginning of July in a bid to raise �20,000.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
The Wings team will be present at times throughout Tuesday's swim, helping Dave to count laps of the pool and keeping him company.