Dave's double channel challenge
DAVE Worms of Fremington will be swimming the channel next week – in the North Devon Leisure Centre pool. Dave is partially disabled following an assault when serving as a police officer 19 years ago. Swimming is a way of him keeping fit and maintaining m
DAVE Worms of Fremington will be swimming the channel next week - in the North Devon Leisure Centre pool.
Dave is partially disabled following an assault when serving as a police officer 19 years ago. Swimming is a way of him keeping fit and maintaining movement.
He now works as a special needs support worker and also coaches
at Barnstaple Swimming Club and Saunton Surf Lifesaving Club.
You may also want to watch:
Dave is hoping his 21-mile swim - 1,388 lengths of the 25m pool - will take no longer than 12 hours.
He is taking on the challenge next Tuesday to raise money for Bideford charity Wings South West as part of its Big Swim 2010 when a team of six, including Dave, will be taking to the choppy waters of the English Channel for real at the beginning of July in a bid to raise �20,000.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
The Wings team will be present at times throughout Tuesday's swim, helping Dave to count laps of the pool and keeping him company.