Dartington Crystal strike Olympic gold
Torrington firm producing official merchandise
THE forthcoming Olympic Games have brought the prospect of gold for one of Torrington’s biggest employers.
Dartington Crystal has won a licence to produce official merchandise and products relating to the London 2012 Games.
This means it is the only company authorised to make crystal and glass using the Olympic artwork and logos.
Since winning the licence nearly a year ago, Dartington has been designing and developing a range of products.
You may also want to watch:
This includes premium crystal made in Torrington and Caithness products from the company’s Scottish factory and sister brand, plus lower priced souvenir products made elsewhere to exclusive designs.
The wide range includes engraved glass and crystal commemoratives, mascot tumblers, coaster sets, picture frames,souvenir gift blocks and paperweights.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects
Marketing and design director Richard Halliday said: “We believe that the commercial opportunity that the London 2012 Games presents is unprecedented in our history and we see it a real boost to sales in the next 18 months.
“We have had a good reaction from our existing customers and we will also be selling to many new customer channels that exist in the run up to the games. Our first deliveries were made in June, but as we approach the pre-Christmas trading the rate of sales will build. We are also working with the various sponsors and corporate partners to the 2012 Games as there will be significant demand for business gifts and presentation pieces for these organisations.
“We are proud to have brought some of the benefit of the London 2012 Games to Devon and although there is a lot of work involved still, we are looking forward to being part of what should be a very successful event for the UK.
“We employ nearly 130 people and the commercial benefit this could bring will help us secure and develop the business in the future. Our involvement in the Olympics is just the latest of a series of steps we have taken to develop new markets and grow sales.”