Dangling doctor to go over the edge for hospice
Hartland GP signs up for daring charity abseil.
A HARTLAND doctor is preparing to go ‘over the edge’ in aid of North Devon Hospice later this month.
Dr Austin Conner, a GP at the Hartland Surgery, is taking part in the Great Devon Dangle, an 180ft abseil down an exposed cliff face at nearby Berry Cliffs.
He is one of a number of supporters to have signed up to take part in a series of sponsored daring descents, being held on the weekend of September 29 and 30.
Dr Conner, who lives in Frithlestock with wife Sarah, daughter Sadhbh, 10, and son Fintan, eight, said: “I often walk along those cliff tops and have often wondered what it would be like to go down them.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to it – although it’s going to be an interesting moment when I lean back and hoist myself off.”
He said his wife had been diagnosed with cancer five years ago and North Devon Hospice had been providing her and the family with regular support.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
“As one of the two GPs at Hartland, I am well aware of the wonderful service provided to our patients and to all those in North Devon by the staff and volunteers at North Devon Hospice.
“Having dedicated hospice staff here in North Devon is fantastic – I have found the hospice to be personally helpful as well as professionally helpful.
“I have worked as a GP all over the world and the hospice here is as good as any I have seen.”
Readers can sponsor Dr Conner on-line at his Just Giving page www.justgiving.com/austinconnor. Sponsor forms are also available at Hartland Surgery, the Clinton Arms in Frithlestock and the Green Dragon in Langtree.
To find out how to take part in the Great Devon Dangle, visit www.northdevonhospice.org.uk or call Gerard Fawcitt on 01271 347224.