Dancers put on a show for charity
MORE than 100 dance students will be putting their best feet forward to display their talents in a charity show at the Landmark Theatre in Ilfracombe later this month that will raise funds for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal and the Turners Syndrome Support Society.
The Rebecca Varley Dance Academy’s show this year has a festive feel.
The Christmas Collection will showcase the talents of the 100-plus students in a variety of styles, from tap, street, musical theatre and contemporary numbers to a shortened version of the classical ballet The Nutcracker.
Teachers and students have given up their time during the past few months for extra rehearsals. The school has also had the technical support of Martyn Tuttiett of North Devon Youth Work Network, of which the school is a member, and the help of a small army of mums, who have rallied around and worked into the night making the costumes.
Rebecca Varley said: “We always donate the proceeds from our shows to charity. This year we feel it is really important to support the Chemotherapy Appeal. I was really surprised to read that the unit could treat 5,000 patients a year.The show will also support the TSSS, a small charity that helps women and their families born with this chromosome condition.”
You may also want to watch:
The show promises to have something to get all the family in the Christmas mood and takes the stage at The Queens on November 25 at 7.30pm and November 26 at 5pm.
Tickets are available from the theatre box office (01271) 324242 or the theatre’s website.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 5 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 7 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 8 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 9 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple
- 10 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction