Dad’s banger rally for sick child
A father whose son is awaiting a kidney transplant helps raise money for Kidney Research UK.
A DEVOTED dad is seeking participants for an old banger race to raise money for his desperately ill son.
Two-and-a-half year old Blake Weaver is on the waiting list for a kidney transplant after being born with kidney failure, and currently has to undergo nine hours of dialysis every night.
His father, Rick Weaver, 31, a project engineer from Bideford, has organised the May Gurney Rally to raise money for Kidney Research UK, which will see old bangers racing from Lands’ End to John O’Groats in 72 hours on April 27.
Rick will be completing the rally in a Renault 21, with his two colleagues Peter Croft and Kev Ross from May Gurney, but he is trying to encourage more teams to take part.
You may also want to watch:
Rick said: “Blake probably spends a quarter of the year in hospital, where they provide him with special feeds and medicines.
“When he was put on the transplant list we were told it could be anything from a two week wait to 12 months, maybe even longer, until they find a donor.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
“It is really difficult, but even if it is just the three of us competing in the rally, at least we will be raising money to help Blake and others suffering from similar conditions.”
Anyone wishing to compete in the rally will need a team of three drivers to rotate regularly, and an old car purchased for �200 or less.
To enter a team email: email@example.com or to donate visit www.kidneyresearchukevents.org/rickyweaver.