Dad’s banger rally for sick child
A father whose son is awaiting a kidney transplant helps raise money for Kidney Research UK.
A DEVOTED dad is seeking participants for an old banger race to raise money for his desperately ill son.
Two-and-a-half year old Blake Weaver is on the waiting list for a kidney transplant after being born with kidney failure, and currently has to undergo nine hours of dialysis every night.
His father, Rick Weaver, 31, a project engineer from Bideford, has organised the May Gurney Rally to raise money for Kidney Research UK, which will see old bangers racing from Lands’ End to John O’Groats in 72 hours on April 27.
Rick will be completing the rally in a Renault 21, with his two colleagues Peter Croft and Kev Ross from May Gurney, but he is trying to encourage more teams to take part.
You may also want to watch:
Rick said: “Blake probably spends a quarter of the year in hospital, where they provide him with special feeds and medicines.
“When he was put on the transplant list we were told it could be anything from a two week wait to 12 months, maybe even longer, until they find a donor.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
“It is really difficult, but even if it is just the three of us competing in the rally, at least we will be raising money to help Blake and others suffering from similar conditions.”
Anyone wishing to compete in the rally will need a team of three drivers to rotate regularly, and an old car purchased for �200 or less.
To enter a team email: email@example.com or to donate visit www.kidneyresearchukevents.org/rickyweaver.