Cyclists raise £6,000 for Breakthrough Breast Cancer
- Credit: Archant
The 20 local cyclists took on a gruelling 308-mile, three-day trip from Blackpool to Barnstaple and are more than half way towards their £10,000 target.
A GROUP of cyclists have raised more than £6,000 after a gruelling 308-mile ride from Blackpool to Barnstaple.
‘Barum or Bust’ was the idea of local cyclists Andy Unstead and Bryn Elliot who wanted to raise £10,000 for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
Many of the 20 team members have had close-hand experience of breast cancer, with Andy’s sister Debbie and Bryn’s wife Jo both diagnosed in 2010 and 2012.
“Debbie and Jo have been so immensely strong through these times and shown an unbelievable determination to beat the disease no matter what,” said Andy.
You may also want to watch:
“The support that they have both received during their treatment and rehabilitation has been nothing short of brilliant and both Bryn and I felt that by raising money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer that we might be able to help in the fight against and hopefully one day, the total eradication of this disease.”
The team were joined in the final 500 metres of their three-day trip by more than 20 children, as friends and family welcomed them home.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 9 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 10 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
Andy said he was proud of what the team had achieved, including battling a thunder storm on day one.
He said: “On behalf of the team I would like to say a huge thank you to all of our sponsors for their kind contributions, the team back in Barnstaple for coordinating a superb finish line party and also our friends and family for their support throughout the event and also during our hours of training.”
To donate towards the team’s effort, visit www.barumorbust.com.