Cycle challenge helps pay for trip to Himalayas for Bideford girl
ROSANNA Jury, aged 17, from Kingsley School, Bideford, was tired and sore, but delighted to complete the official 102-mile cycle route from Plymouth to Ilfracombe in a day. She chose the challenge as a fund-raiser to help pay for a scientific expedition
ROSANNA Jury, aged 17, from Kingsley School, Bideford, was tired and sore, but delighted to complete the official 102-mile cycle route from Plymouth to Ilfracombe in a day.
She chose the challenge as a fund-raiser to help pay for a scientific expedition to the Himalayas which she had been chosen to participate in this summer.
Rosanna will spend five weeks camping at high altitude in the mountains of Ladakh, part of the Tibetan plateau, with the British Schools Exploring Society (part of National Geographic) with 36 other young people from around Britain.
It is one of the most remote regions of the Himalayas and the BSES is hoping to carry out important research on the impact of high altitude on human physiology to see how different people use oxygen with the aim of helping the management of intensive care patients.
You may also want to watch:
Working in a very cold, isolated, demanding environment should be enough to put most people off but the BSES claims it will develop confidence, teamwork, leadership and a spirit of adventure and exploration among the young people involved.
Rosanna is bursting with enthusiasm for the adventure, although she admits to some nerves as the date gets closer. "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity," she said. "I have found raising the funds for it hard in the present economic climate as I haven't liked to ask local businesses, but now the departure date is getting close, I really believe it is going to happen!"
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 3 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 4 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 5 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 9 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 10 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
For everyone who makes a donation to her expedition funds, Rosanna is asking them to guess how long they think it took her to complete the 102-mile cycle (less breaks) with a prize of a large celebration hamper for the nearest guess. Ring (01237) 424066 if you would like to make a donation or guess.