Cycle challenge for children’s hospice
Two Barnstaple businessmen are preparing to saddle up and take on a personal challenge to raise money for a children’s charity that’s close to their hearts.
Ian Clements and Jeff Parker have set themselves the challenge to cycle more than 1,300km from Gibraltar to Barnstaple in aid of Children’s Hospice South West.
Before the trip even starts they have an 85 mile cycle from Malaga airport down to Gibraltar, where the adventure will start. They will cycle through many historic towns and cities in the heart of Spain and through national parks and mountain ranges with only their bikes, a tent and enough Euros for a hot shower and a soft bed.
The cyclists will fly to Malaga on September 28 and have given themselves just 15 days to complete the challenge.
All proceeds from the challenge will go towards the care and support of life-limited children and their families from across the South West.
You may also want to watch:
Ian and Jeff said: “We think this is a charity that does so much for the children and families that come to Little Bridge House. This is not the first time we have raised money for CHSW. In 2006 we took part in a sponsored tandem parachute jump, raising nearly �2,000. The charity was always close to Jeff’s mum Ann Parker, who sadly passed away nine years ago. Ann was always involved with a lot of fundraising, so it wasn’t a hard choice to carry it on and we’re sure everyone agrees that the work the charity does is fantastic.”
The intrepid duo have been training hard already, including taking part in triathlons and the local Coast to Coast ride as well as undertaking lots of cardio training.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
Ian and Jeff have purchased their bikes from Barnstaple business Plant Bike and thank Paul, who has donated more than �400 worth of equipment for the trip.
You can follow the duo’s progress on their website www.cycle4asmile.org.uk and sponsor them at www.justgiving.com/ianjeff.