Crunch meeting for future of Ilfracombe Victorians
Shock resignation of chairman leads to emergency meeting on Wednesday
AN emergency meeting of Ilfracombe Victorian Celebration Committee has been called for tonight (Wednesday) following the unexpected resignation of its chairman.
Anyone in the town who enjoys, takes part in or is affected by the annual June Victorian week is urged to go along to tonight’s meeting at 7.30pm in Emmanuel Church, Wilder Road, to ensure that the celebrations continue this year.
Lin Harper, who has been one of the main event organisers for several years, announced her surprise resignation in a letter to committee members.
She said her decision was “for personal reasons” and had come about after much careful consideration and heart searching.
You may also want to watch:
Long term Victorian Celebrations supporter Rita Clews, familiar to many for her portrayal of Queen Victoria each year, said now they needed to ensure as many people as possible came to tonight’s meeting.
“We would like to see all those involved in any way, anyone it affects, such as accommodation providers, the theatres, businesses and anyone interested in the celebrations.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
“Lin will be well missed because she did a grand job and I am sorry that she has gone. There has been no animosity or anything like that - she worked hard on the committee and as far as I am concerned she did a good job.”
Anyone unable to attend the meeting who would like to find out more about helping stage this year’s Victorian Celebrations can call Rita Clews in the first instance on (01271) 863342.