FIRE FIGHTERS were scrambled to the chip shop in Mortehoe yesterday evening (Thurs) after a fire broke out in the extraction unit of the building. Two crews from Ilfracombe and one from Woolacombe arrived at the Square at around 7pm and were backed up shortly after by crews from Combe Martin and Braunton. A further two crews from Barnstaple were requested as fire fighters battled the blaze on the ground floor. Using six breathing apparatus wearers, three hose reel jets, one 45ml jet, and one safety jet fire fighters extinguished the fire. The ground floor suffered 80 per cent fire damage, the first floor was damaged 30 per cent by fire and 50 per cent by smoke, and the second floor was damaged 20 per cent by smoke. Crews believe the cause of the fire was accidental.