Couple and dog rescued from Ilfracombe cliff
A couple who tried to rescue their dog from an Ilfracombe cliff had to be rescued themselves by coastguards and the helicopter form Chivenor. The three were out walking on Tuesday afternoon when the dog became stuck on the cliff, thought to be at Beacon R
A couple who tried to rescue their dog from an Ilfracombe cliff had to be rescued themselves by coastguards and the helicopter form Chivenor.
The three were out walking on Tuesday afternoon when the dog became stuck on the cliff, thought to be at Beacon Rocks to the east of the town.
The man was able to call 999 on his mobile phone and coastguard rescue teams from Mortehoe and Ilfracombe were sent to the scene, while an RAF search and rescue helicopter was also requested.
The coastguard teams were able to help the woman to safety using cliff rescue equipment, while the RAF crew winched the man and his dog from their precarious perch.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Jones, watch manager at Swansea Coastguard said
dog owners were reminded to keep dogs on leads when are exercising them near cliffs.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
"We would also advise owners not to put themselves at risk for their pets, but call 999 and ask for the coastguard," he added.