Couple and dog rescued from Ilfracombe cliff
A couple who tried to rescue their dog from an Ilfracombe cliff had to be rescued themselves by coastguards and the helicopter form Chivenor. The three were out walking on Tuesday afternoon when the dog became stuck on the cliff, thought to be at Beacon R
A couple who tried to rescue their dog from an Ilfracombe cliff had to be rescued themselves by coastguards and the helicopter form Chivenor.
The three were out walking on Tuesday afternoon when the dog became stuck on the cliff, thought to be at Beacon Rocks to the east of the town.
The man was able to call 999 on his mobile phone and coastguard rescue teams from Mortehoe and Ilfracombe were sent to the scene, while an RAF search and rescue helicopter was also requested.
The coastguard teams were able to help the woman to safety using cliff rescue equipment, while the RAF crew winched the man and his dog from their precarious perch.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Jones, watch manager at Swansea Coastguard said
dog owners were reminded to keep dogs on leads when are exercising them near cliffs.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 5 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 6 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 7 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 8 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
"We would also advise owners not to put themselves at risk for their pets, but call 999 and ask for the coastguard," he added.