County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- Credit: Daniel Clark
Devon County Council leader John Hart has been re-elected as the voice of the South West.
He was voted in unopposed as the chairman of South West Councils for a fifth two-year term.
The organisation represents 33 county, unitary and district councils stretching from Cornwall to Gloucestershire and Wiltshire as well as police, fire and rescue services, national parks and town and parish councils.
Mr Hart said: “It’s a tremendous privilege to have been re-elected to chair South West Councils.
“This region has many issues in common, with the economic recovery from the pandemic as our most urgent task alongside support for our vulnerable residents and our vital tourism, hospitality and food and farming sectors.
You may also want to watch:
“We must also stimulate our economy by improving communications with the rest of the country, ensuring fast broadband coverage for our rural areas at an affordable price and promoting greater skills and employment for our young people.
“We need to present a united front to the Government to ensure we do not remain the poor relation when it comes to funding and that we get a fair share of cash for levelling-up.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival