Countdown to star-studded Christmas lights switch-on in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
Top billing of entertainment booked for show on the Square this Sunday.
ORGANISERS of Barnstaple’s annual Christmas Light Switch On event have organised a top billing of entertainment for this year’s event, taking place on Sunday.
Up-and-coming Brit and Mobo Award nominees Stooshe will headline the show, which will also feature 2013 Britain’s Got Talent finalists Luminites.
Stooshe, who recently toured with Nicki Minaj, scored a top five hit with their debut single Love Me, while their follow-up Black Heart peaked at number three in the charts.
Described as ‘bold and edgy’, the group’s debut album London with the Lights On, debuted at number eight in the UK album charts in June.
You may also want to watch:
Luminites took this year’s TV talent show by storm, wowing judges with their innovative performances of old classics such as Hurts So Good and To Love Somebody.
The day’s entertainment starts at 1pm on the Square with music from the Devon Youth Jazz Orchestra.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 7 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 8 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 Brian Greenslade's name scraped off plaque after sex assault trial
Then at 2pm there is a surprise in store when more than 300 school children take the stage for the North Devon Schools Christmas Collaboration.
Popular Devon based musician Adam Isaac, star of BBC One’s The Voice will perform at 3.15pm.
Local musicians from event house band Switched On will be getting everyone into the party mood this year from 4.30pm, ready for the Luminites at 5.40pm.
The light switch-on is planned for approximately 6.20pm and then it’s the turn of girl group Stooshe.
Sue Rawle, co-ordinator of BID Barnstaple, the main organisers of the event, said: “We always punch above our weight where our Christmas Lights switch-on is concerned.
“This serves us well in terms of both bringing people into the town and putting us on the map as the commercial centre of North Devon.”