Countdown to Barnstaple Christmas lights switch on
Event on the Square will have superstar attraction
THOUSANDS of people are expected to fill Barnstaple Square for the town’s Christmas lights switch-on on Sunday.
Organisers have put together a star-studded festive programme of live music and entertainment for all the family with some fantastic surprises planned for the day.
This year’s big switch on – which in recent years has featured headline performances by Joss Stone, The Saturdays and Noisettes – will be performed by Brit Award-nominated and multiple platinum selling singer-songwriter Newton Faulkner at around 5.30pm.
The artist, who has had huge success with his first two albums, will be topping a packed bill which starts at 12.45pm with a Spirit of Christmas parade.
You may also want to watch:
Afternoon entertainment will be provided by the North Devon Gang Show; pupils from Sticklepath and Yeo Valley primary schools; and the winners of an in-house Petroc music competition, Off Beat.
Zamba will be hoping to add to the carnival atmosphere, while You Tube phenomena, Sons of Admirals will be making an appearance in Barnstaple to coincide with the release of their first single Here Comes My Baby.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 8 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 9 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
Christmas cheer will come thick and fast when some of North Devon’s brightest and best musical talent take to the stage to perform a special Christmas Medley of much-loved festive songs.
“Hours of hard work have gone on behind the scenes and it’s been one of the best kept secrets on the North Devon music scene for the last few months,” said Craig Bulley of Barnstaple Town Centre Management.
“We were keen to feature some Christmas music as part of the Barnstaple light switch on event and we wanted to involve the fantastic array of musical talent in North Devon.
“Don’t expect the ordinary as this is going to be something special and is sure to have you singing along.”
On stage hosts, Seth Conway from ITV Westcountry, BBC Radio Devon’s Richard Green together with Hopps and Chapple from The Voice 106 and Emma Scott from Heart will draw the winning �5,000 ticket for this year’s North Devon Hospice grand annual draw at 5.25pm.
Headline act Newton Faulkner will then appear on stage where he will press the plunger and switch on Barnstaple’s Christmas lights before playing a live acoustic set that is guaranteed to draw the evening to a fantastic close.
Schedule of Events:*
12.45pm – Spirit of Christmas Parade
1pm – North Devon Gang Show
1.40pm – Sticklepath & Yeo Valley Primary Schools
2.10pm – Off Beat
2.40pm – Zamba
3.30pm – Special Guests-Sons of Admirals
4.05pm – A Very Special Christmas Medley featuring some of North Devon’s Top Musical Talent
5.30pm – Christmas Light Switch On
5.35pm – NEWTON FAULKNER
*All timings are approximate