Councils push for North Devon Link Road to become dual carriageway
- Credit: Archant
Torridge and North Devon District Council announce they will push dualling of Link Road to top of government’s agenda.
NORTH Devon and Torridge District Councils have announced they will be pushing dualling the North Devon Link Road to the top of the government’s agenda.
Last week the Gazette revealed Devon County Council was set to begin major upgrades to the A39 and A361, including dualling some sections.
Now the district councils have vowed to put pressure on the government to make it a priority to dual the road, which they believe would improve the economy.
Councillor Philip Collins, leader of Torridge, said: “It is shameful that due to cost the road was never dualled originally.
“How many more accidents will we have to suffer in our communities before something is done?
You may also want to watch:
“The government wishes to get the economy growing and this is one thing that will help not only businesses and holidaymakers, but also local residents.”
Councillor Brian Greenslade, leader of North Devon Council, said the councils ‘shared this aspiration for improvements’ and that he had taken business secretary Vince Cable for a drive along the road to show him it was ‘not fit for purpose’.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 7 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Brian Greenslade's name scraped off plaque after sex assault trial
He added: “I hope both councils will now be able to get some plans together to enable us to look for funding, so that this vital link between northern Devon and the outside world can be brought up to modern day standards.”
Devon County Council’s North Devon Highways Committee meeting is due to discuss this issue today (Tuesday).