Councils give free parking Christmas present
BIDEFORD and Torrington Town Councils are both sponsoring extra free parking in their towns leading up to Christmas in addition to that already being provided by the district council.
Bideford councillors voted unanimously to fund additional free parking on three Saturdays from 10am in the Honestone Street, The Pill, The Quay, The Manor and Bridge Street car parks. The first was last Saturday and this continues on December 17 and 24.
It will cost the town council almost �2,000 in an initiative which bids to support traders and encourage shoppers.
Mayor of Bideford Trevor Johns said: “Bideford has some wonderful niche shops, tempting restaurants and caf�s and I encourage folk to take advantage of our free parking opportunities and sample what Bideford has to offer. This is a goodwill gesture to do what we can to help and encourage trade in these difficult economic times and I would ask traders to join in the spirit of this offer and park in their usual place, thereby freeing the town centre car parks for potential customers.”
The town council particularly wanted to fund free parking in Bridge Street and Honestone Street to encourage shoppers to take a look around the Pannier Market as well as the rest of the town.
You may also want to watch:
Great Torrington Town Council has sponsored free parking in the Barley Grove and Sydney House car parks on Saturdays, December 17 and 24.
Tickets will still need to be purchased as usual in all other car parks and for on street parking.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 5 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up