Councillors hold silence in memory of colleague
- Credit: Archant
Bideford town councillors held the tribute to Cllr Steve Clarke OBE, who died this week.
BIDEFORD town councillors held a minute’s silence yesterday (Thurs) to pay tribute to a councillor who died this week.
Cllr Steve Clarke OBE, who sat on the town council since May 2003, passed away peacefully at home on Tuesday.
At the prayers before the meeting led by John Wards from the Society of Quakers, councillors had a period of ‘quiet reflection’ to think about Cllr Clarke.
Then at the start of the meeting, mayor Cllr Simon Inch asked councillors to join him and stand for a minutes silence.
You may also want to watch:
Afterwards he announced the details of the funeral and said the flag on the town hall will fly at half mast until that day.
Cllr Clarke’s funeral will be held at Bideford High Street Methodist Church on Monday, December 23 at 1.30pm, followed by an interment at Higher Cemetery, Bideford and the wake at the Commodore Hotel in Instow with a firework display.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 10 Man dies in crash involving bicycle and car in Bideford
Donations can be made to the Lighthouse Construction Charity or Exeter Onocology Centre Trust at the service or c/o Braddicks & Sherborne Funeral Directors, Bideford, telephone: 01237 477222.
To read tributes to Mr Clarke from his friends and colleagues, click here.