Councillors hold silence in memory of colleague
- Credit: Archant
Bideford town councillors held the tribute to Cllr Steve Clarke OBE, who died this week.
BIDEFORD town councillors held a minute’s silence yesterday (Thurs) to pay tribute to a councillor who died this week.
Cllr Steve Clarke OBE, who sat on the town council since May 2003, passed away peacefully at home on Tuesday.
At the prayers before the meeting led by John Wards from the Society of Quakers, councillors had a period of ‘quiet reflection’ to think about Cllr Clarke.
Then at the start of the meeting, mayor Cllr Simon Inch asked councillors to join him and stand for a minutes silence.
You may also want to watch:
Afterwards he announced the details of the funeral and said the flag on the town hall will fly at half mast until that day.
Cllr Clarke’s funeral will be held at Bideford High Street Methodist Church on Monday, December 23 at 1.30pm, followed by an interment at Higher Cemetery, Bideford and the wake at the Commodore Hotel in Instow with a firework display.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 4 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
Donations can be made to the Lighthouse Construction Charity or Exeter Onocology Centre Trust at the service or c/o Braddicks & Sherborne Funeral Directors, Bideford, telephone: 01237 477222.
To read tributes to Mr Clarke from his friends and colleagues, click here.