Councillor asks for new vote on Bideford war memorial
- Credit: Archant
Council committee votes for new memorial design - despite it being least popular in public consulation.
A TOWN council committee has voted for a brand new war memorial design – despite it being the least popular in a public consultation.
In July the Gazette reported how Bideford Town Council was putting four prospective designs for the new memorial to the public, asking which they would prefer.
Despite having only 31 people respond to the consultation, 38 per cent favoured the idea of a bandstand, and 22 per cent voted for a design featuring a cross.
Only 16 per cent of people voted for a design including a sword – yet at the council’s staffing, finances and general purposes committee last month, this was voted as the design of choice.
Councillor David Brenton has now submitted a motion to tomorrow’s (Thurs) town council meeting to suspend standing orders and retake the vote as a full council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Brenton told the Gazette: “Only three people out of the whole council voted for this design at the committee meeting, and the votes seemed a bit all over the place.
“The bandstand was added at the last minute and muddied the waters – it’s quite a difficult concept and something I’m sure the council will visit in the future.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
“But this should never have been delegated to a committee; we are the ones that have to answer to the public so it should be a full council decision.”
Bideford Town Council will meet in the council chamber at 6pm tomorrow (Thursday).