Councillor asks for new vote on Bideford war memorial
- Credit: Archant
Council committee votes for new memorial design - despite it being least popular in public consulation.
A TOWN council committee has voted for a brand new war memorial design – despite it being the least popular in a public consultation.
In July the Gazette reported how Bideford Town Council was putting four prospective designs for the new memorial to the public, asking which they would prefer.
Despite having only 31 people respond to the consultation, 38 per cent favoured the idea of a bandstand, and 22 per cent voted for a design featuring a cross.
Only 16 per cent of people voted for a design including a sword – yet at the council’s staffing, finances and general purposes committee last month, this was voted as the design of choice.
Councillor David Brenton has now submitted a motion to tomorrow’s (Thurs) town council meeting to suspend standing orders and retake the vote as a full council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Brenton told the Gazette: “Only three people out of the whole council voted for this design at the committee meeting, and the votes seemed a bit all over the place.
“The bandstand was added at the last minute and muddied the waters – it’s quite a difficult concept and something I’m sure the council will visit in the future.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 3 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
“But this should never have been delegated to a committee; we are the ones that have to answer to the public so it should be a full council decision.”
Bideford Town Council will meet in the council chamber at 6pm tomorrow (Thursday).