Council staff gearing up for StarTrek Challenge
Still time to sign up to Ilfracombe Rotary night time charity hike across Exmoor.
A number of North Devon Council staff will be wandering around in the dark on Exmoor next month as take part in the annual StarTrek Challenge for charity.
Now in its 20th year, the night-time orienteering event is organised by the Ilfracombe Rotary clubs and will include various teams of council workers, who have been busy training for the 16 mile trek on Saturday, March 3.
So far StarTrek has raised more than �750,000 for charity, with proceeds divided between the region’s two hospices plus a third main cause, which this year will be the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal. Donations are also made to several smaller local charities.
It is the fourth year North Devon Council chief executive Mike Mansell and his team “Failed Miserably” have taken part in the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
“For anyone who hasn’t tried StarTrek, it consists of a 16-mile overnight hike across Exmoor, using clues, maps, a compass and a lot of swearing and luck,” he said.
“Blundering around in the dark and finishing up to your waist in cows muck is good training for daily life, so do have a go if you think you’re mad enough. It’s the highlight of my year.”
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
There is still time for teams of four to six people to enter this year’s challenge. It costs �7 per person, which covers basic costs and refreshments. To download an application form, go to www.rotary-startrek.org.uk.