Council’s clampdown on illegal dumping
Fly tipping puts a blot on landscape and council tax payers’ pockets
ILLEGAL fly-tipping in a quiet country lane outside Bideford has cost Torridge council tax payers hundreds of pounds.
Scratchyface Lane, off Bowden Green, has been used as a dumping ground for green, household and building waste on four separate occasions during the last month.
Some of the piles were so large that the lane was completely blocked and Torridge District Council staff have been fighting a losing battle to shift the mess.
Council Leader, Councillor Barry Parsons, said: “Fly tipping is behaviour that is totally irresponsible, unnecessary, selfish, and potentially dangerous for our people, our animals, as well as our environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only that, it costs the council tax payers dearly. Our staff have to drive out to the location and remove it all themselves. Their time could be much better spent elsewhere.”
Cllr Chris Leather, lead member for Recycling, added: “Torridge provides a range of different ways that you can responsibly dispose of garden waste so there is no excuse for dumping it.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
“Our staff cannot monitor every country lane in Torridge. Help us to find the people who are spoiling our countryside.”
Domestic green waste can be disposed of at recycling centres free of charge.
The council asked people to report illegal dumping in confidence on (01237) 428734 or 428890. Alternatively, they can call the Grime Busters hotline on 0800 1422442.