Council’s clampdown on illegal dumping
Fly tipping puts a blot on landscape and council tax payers’ pockets
ILLEGAL fly-tipping in a quiet country lane outside Bideford has cost Torridge council tax payers hundreds of pounds.
Scratchyface Lane, off Bowden Green, has been used as a dumping ground for green, household and building waste on four separate occasions during the last month.
Some of the piles were so large that the lane was completely blocked and Torridge District Council staff have been fighting a losing battle to shift the mess.
Council Leader, Councillor Barry Parsons, said: “Fly tipping is behaviour that is totally irresponsible, unnecessary, selfish, and potentially dangerous for our people, our animals, as well as our environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only that, it costs the council tax payers dearly. Our staff have to drive out to the location and remove it all themselves. Their time could be much better spent elsewhere.”
Cllr Chris Leather, lead member for Recycling, added: “Torridge provides a range of different ways that you can responsibly dispose of garden waste so there is no excuse for dumping it.
- 1 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects
“Our staff cannot monitor every country lane in Torridge. Help us to find the people who are spoiling our countryside.”
Domestic green waste can be disposed of at recycling centres free of charge.
The council asked people to report illegal dumping in confidence on (01237) 428734 or 428890. Alternatively, they can call the Grime Busters hotline on 0800 1422442.