Council’s clampdown on illegal dumping
Fly tipping puts a blot on landscape and council tax payers’ pockets
ILLEGAL fly-tipping in a quiet country lane outside Bideford has cost Torridge council tax payers hundreds of pounds.
Scratchyface Lane, off Bowden Green, has been used as a dumping ground for green, household and building waste on four separate occasions during the last month.
Some of the piles were so large that the lane was completely blocked and Torridge District Council staff have been fighting a losing battle to shift the mess.
Council Leader, Councillor Barry Parsons, said: “Fly tipping is behaviour that is totally irresponsible, unnecessary, selfish, and potentially dangerous for our people, our animals, as well as our environment.
“Not only that, it costs the council tax payers dearly. Our staff have to drive out to the location and remove it all themselves. Their time could be much better spent elsewhere.”
Cllr Chris Leather, lead member for Recycling, added: “Torridge provides a range of different ways that you can responsibly dispose of garden waste so there is no excuse for dumping it.
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 4 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 8 Covid-19 ventilation advice for North Devon landlords
- 9 Together we can look forward to 2022
- 10 North Devon Weekend Football Results
“Our staff cannot monitor every country lane in Torridge. Help us to find the people who are spoiling our countryside.”
Domestic green waste can be disposed of at recycling centres free of charge.
The council asked people to report illegal dumping in confidence on (01237) 428734 or 428890. Alternatively, they can call the Grime Busters hotline on 0800 1422442.