Council’s clampdown on illegal dumping
Fly tipping puts a blot on landscape and council tax payers’ pockets
ILLEGAL fly-tipping in a quiet country lane outside Bideford has cost Torridge council tax payers hundreds of pounds.
Scratchyface Lane, off Bowden Green, has been used as a dumping ground for green, household and building waste on four separate occasions during the last month.
Some of the piles were so large that the lane was completely blocked and Torridge District Council staff have been fighting a losing battle to shift the mess.
Council Leader, Councillor Barry Parsons, said: “Fly tipping is behaviour that is totally irresponsible, unnecessary, selfish, and potentially dangerous for our people, our animals, as well as our environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only that, it costs the council tax payers dearly. Our staff have to drive out to the location and remove it all themselves. Their time could be much better spent elsewhere.”
Cllr Chris Leather, lead member for Recycling, added: “Torridge provides a range of different ways that you can responsibly dispose of garden waste so there is no excuse for dumping it.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
“Our staff cannot monitor every country lane in Torridge. Help us to find the people who are spoiling our countryside.”
Domestic green waste can be disposed of at recycling centres free of charge.
The council asked people to report illegal dumping in confidence on (01237) 428734 or 428890. Alternatively, they can call the Grime Busters hotline on 0800 1422442.