Council resignations prompt election call
By elections to take place in South Molton and Fremington this week
DISTRICT and parish council by elections will be held in Fremington and South Molton tomorrow (Thursday).
The Fremington election follows the resignation of Councillor Joanne Bell, who has stood down from her seats on North Devon Council and Fremington Parish Council.
Four candidates have been nominated for the North Devon Council Fremington Ward seat – John Gill for the Conservatives, Neil Basil Green Party, Chris Turner and Tony Wood, both independents.
Mr Gill was district councillor for the ward during the previous term of office but lost his seat at the May elections. Both Mr Wood and Mr Turner have served on the parish council.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Turner is also seeking election to the vacant Fremington and Yelland parish ward, as is Dave Phipps, who is standing for “People Not Publicity.”
South Molton Town Council is also holding its election following the resignation of long-serving councillor Sue Sewell.
- 1 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 2 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 3 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 8 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 9 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
The seat will be contested by Una Harley, standing as an independent and Claire Parkinson.