Council resignations prompt election call
By elections to take place in South Molton and Fremington this week
DISTRICT and parish council by elections will be held in Fremington and South Molton tomorrow (Thursday).
The Fremington election follows the resignation of Councillor Joanne Bell, who has stood down from her seats on North Devon Council and Fremington Parish Council.
Four candidates have been nominated for the North Devon Council Fremington Ward seat – John Gill for the Conservatives, Neil Basil Green Party, Chris Turner and Tony Wood, both independents.
Mr Gill was district councillor for the ward during the previous term of office but lost his seat at the May elections. Both Mr Wood and Mr Turner have served on the parish council.
Mr Turner is also seeking election to the vacant Fremington and Yelland parish ward, as is Dave Phipps, who is standing for “People Not Publicity.”
South Molton Town Council is also holding its election following the resignation of long-serving councillor Sue Sewell.
- 1 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 2 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 3 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 4 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 5 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 6 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 7 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 8 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 9 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 10 Young carols singers do families proud on festive charity mission
The seat will be contested by Una Harley, standing as an independent and Claire Parkinson.