Council resignations prompt election call
By elections to take place in South Molton and Fremington this week
DISTRICT and parish council by elections will be held in Fremington and South Molton tomorrow (Thursday).
The Fremington election follows the resignation of Councillor Joanne Bell, who has stood down from her seats on North Devon Council and Fremington Parish Council.
Four candidates have been nominated for the North Devon Council Fremington Ward seat – John Gill for the Conservatives, Neil Basil Green Party, Chris Turner and Tony Wood, both independents.
Mr Gill was district councillor for the ward during the previous term of office but lost his seat at the May elections. Both Mr Wood and Mr Turner have served on the parish council.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Turner is also seeking election to the vacant Fremington and Yelland parish ward, as is Dave Phipps, who is standing for “People Not Publicity.”
South Molton Town Council is also holding its election following the resignation of long-serving councillor Sue Sewell.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
The seat will be contested by Una Harley, standing as an independent and Claire Parkinson.