Council offers free football sessions for homeless people
NORTH Devon Council is teaming up with the Football Association to offer free football sessions for homeless people. Men and women with mental health issues are also being invited to take part in the three events being held on the grass pitches at the Tar
NORTH Devon Council is teaming up with the Football Association to offer free football sessions for homeless people.
Men and women with mental health issues are also being invited to take part in the three events being held on the grass pitches at the Tarka Tennis Centre in Barnstaple.
Janet Kennedy, community and leisure project officer at North Devon Council, said the aim of the partnership project - organised in tandem with 5 X 30, Barnstaple Poverty Action Group, the Primary Care Trust and Jobcentre Plus - was to help motivate people to make positive changes in their lives.
"North Devon Council is committed to helping people from all walks of life take part in activities which may lead to a better self-image and motivation and ultimately to return to training or employment," said Mrs Kennedy.
You may also want to watch:
"This project is an ideal way to help people who may otherwise find it difficult to join in with activities."
The sessions take place between 11am and 1pm on Wednesday 21 and 28 April, and Wednesday, May 12.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
Booking is not necessary and equipment is provided. For more information call Dai Carpenter from the Football Association on (01626) 323560 or Janet Kennedy from North Devon Council on (01271) 388864.