Council offers free football sessions for homeless people
NORTH Devon Council is teaming up with the Football Association to offer free football sessions for homeless people. Men and women with mental health issues are also being invited to take part in the three events being held on the grass pitches at the Tar
NORTH Devon Council is teaming up with the Football Association to offer free football sessions for homeless people.
Men and women with mental health issues are also being invited to take part in the three events being held on the grass pitches at the Tarka Tennis Centre in Barnstaple.
Janet Kennedy, community and leisure project officer at North Devon Council, said the aim of the partnership project - organised in tandem with 5 X 30, Barnstaple Poverty Action Group, the Primary Care Trust and Jobcentre Plus - was to help motivate people to make positive changes in their lives.
"North Devon Council is committed to helping people from all walks of life take part in activities which may lead to a better self-image and motivation and ultimately to return to training or employment," said Mrs Kennedy.
You may also want to watch:
"This project is an ideal way to help people who may otherwise find it difficult to join in with activities."
The sessions take place between 11am and 1pm on Wednesday 21 and 28 April, and Wednesday, May 12.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 8 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 9 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
Booking is not necessary and equipment is provided. For more information call Dai Carpenter from the Football Association on (01626) 323560 or Janet Kennedy from North Devon Council on (01271) 388864.