Council details plans to demolish multi-storey
Work could start in February next year
NEIGHBOURS are being kept up to date with plans to demolish Barnstaple’s Queen Street multi-storey car park
The demolition has been planned for some time as the first phase of a wider scheme to redevelop the Queen Street area.
North Devon Council has been speaking to residents to let them know of the plans, and has sent letters to all neighbouring properties to inform them of the coming demolition.
Executive Member for Economic Regeneration Councillor Malcolm Prowse saids: “These works are just the start of an exciting new scheme to re-enforce the vitality and future of the town centre. Barnstaple needs to move forward and the Bear St/Queen St area regeneration is a priority.”
You may also want to watch:
The project will take place in three stages:
Stage one: demolition and removal of the top floors, bringing the car park down to ground level
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
Stage two: transform the existing ground floor space to create a temporary split-level car park, which will keep the costs of the project down
Stage three: progress redevelopment of the Queen Street area - this has already begun, with work starting on an independent retail study for the town, as well as positive discussions to look at marketing key sites in the future.
The council will be going out to tender soon to find a suitable contractor to carry out the work on the car park. It is planned the project could start in February 2012.
Neighbouring properties will be kept informed at all stages of the works and car park users will be signposted to other car parks nearby.
For more information about all North Devon Council car parks, customers can use the online map at www.northdevon.gov.uk/mapping.