Council details plans to demolish multi-storey
Work could start in February next year
NEIGHBOURS are being kept up to date with plans to demolish Barnstaple’s Queen Street multi-storey car park
The demolition has been planned for some time as the first phase of a wider scheme to redevelop the Queen Street area.
North Devon Council has been speaking to residents to let them know of the plans, and has sent letters to all neighbouring properties to inform them of the coming demolition.
Executive Member for Economic Regeneration Councillor Malcolm Prowse saids: “These works are just the start of an exciting new scheme to re-enforce the vitality and future of the town centre. Barnstaple needs to move forward and the Bear St/Queen St area regeneration is a priority.”
You may also want to watch:
The project will take place in three stages:
Stage one: demolition and removal of the top floors, bringing the car park down to ground level
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 9 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 10 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
Stage two: transform the existing ground floor space to create a temporary split-level car park, which will keep the costs of the project down
Stage three: progress redevelopment of the Queen Street area - this has already begun, with work starting on an independent retail study for the town, as well as positive discussions to look at marketing key sites in the future.
The council will be going out to tender soon to find a suitable contractor to carry out the work on the car park. It is planned the project could start in February 2012.
Neighbouring properties will be kept informed at all stages of the works and car park users will be signposted to other car parks nearby.
For more information about all North Devon Council car parks, customers can use the online map at www.northdevon.gov.uk/mapping.