Council could agree 1,000 new homes for Torridge in a day
- Credit: Archant
A 750-house development off Clovelly Road in Bideford and plans for the former Torrington Creamery are some of the homes recommended for approval tomorrow (Thursday).
Permission for nearly 1,000 new homes in Bideford and Torrington could be granted tomorrow (Thursday).
Applications coming under scrutiny at Torridge District Council’s plans committee meeting include proposals for the former Torrington creamery and a major housing development off Clovelly Road in Bideford.
There are four housing schemes recommended for approval by officers at the day-long meeting – amounting to a total of 980 houses.
The biggest of these is Bloor Homes’ Winsford Park application, off Clovelly Road in Bideford – a blueprint for 750 new homes, a 50-bed care facility and a primary school.
A separate application for a total of 149 houses and retail space on the former Torrington Creamery site will also be debated.
In a report to the council, planning officer Lewis Andrews said: “The site comprises a sustainable location and having regard to the council’s five year supply of housing, the development of the site, including the clearance of the former creamery buildings, would outweigh the visual and landscape harm of housing development on land adjacent to the open countryside.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillors are also being recommended to approve plans to convert a former hotel at Penhaven Country House in Parkham into 21 homes.
The other application recommended for approval is for 60 homes off Hoopers Way in Torrington.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 10 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
Winsford Park and Penhaven will be discussed at 9.30am in Bideford Town Hall. The two Torrington applications will be heard at 1pm.