Council chief seconded to North Devon Plus
NORTH Devon Council has agreed that one of its two top executives can be seconded for two years to economic development organisation North Devon Plus as its chief executive. Steve Pitcher will take up the post on October 1, subject to the agreement of th
NORTH Devon Council has agreed that one of its two top executives can be seconded for two years to economic development organisation North Devon Plus as its chief executive.
Steve Pitcher will take up the post on October 1, subject to the agreement of the North Devon Plus board next week.
He has been jointly running the council with colleague and fellow executive director Mike Mansell since chief executive John Sunderland retired in October last year.
Mike will step up to the position of acting chief executive, subject to Steve's secondment being finalised next week.
You may also want to watch:
Steve has always been passionate about supporting the North Devon economy so this is an opportunity he didn't want to miss.
He said: "I have hugely enjoyed my time working for North Devon Council and would like to pay tribute to colleagues and members for their tremendous commitment to the work we do. I am now looking forward to a new challenge, working with the new board of North Devon Plus to drive our local economy to better performance, as one of our key priorities."
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
Mike Mansell said: "Everyone in the team at North Devon knows we face challenging and uncertain times ahead and I know each person will rise to meet those challenges. I shall be proud to be part of that. In the meantime I wish Steve well in the new challenges he will face. We have worked together for 15 years and I am pleased we can continue to do so (albeit in different roles) for some time to come."
Mike has worked at North Devon Council since 1994. He joined as assistant director (Resources) and then took over as assistant director for Ilfracombe when the council had area committees in 1998. Following the transfer of the housing stock in 2000 he also took on the lead role for housing finance and strategy. He was promoted to executive director in 2003 looking after Finance, HR, Waste and Recycling and Ilfracombe Harbour.
Steve joined North Devon Council in 1988, where his first task was to write the Ilfracombe Local Plan. He eventually became an assistant director, responsible for corporate issues, then a corporate manager before being promoted to executive director in 2003. In that role he has been responsible for Planning and Development, Environmental Health and Housing, Community and Leisure, and Property and Technical Services.
Subject to the agreement of the North Devon Plus board, Steve's secondment begins on October 1 and Mike will take on his new role the same day