Council cash for South Molton projects
TWO important projects in South Molton are to get a cash injection from North Devon Council. At today s Executive meeting, members agreed to spend �65,000 on refurbishing the toilets in the Pannier Market. This latest contribution will mean the toilet
TWO important projects in South Molton are to get a cash injection from North Devon Council.
At today's Executive meeting, members agreed to spend �65,000 on refurbishing the toilets in the Pannier Market.
This latest contribution will mean the toilets will get a complete facelift and takes the total that North Devon Council has put towards the project to �85,000 - the initial costs being for design and investigatory work.
At the same meeting, members also agreed to contribute �16,500 towards extra costs in creating the Amory Centre. The South Molton Town Council building provides a one-stop-shop for all local council services and other partners including North Devon Homes and Citizens Advice.
You may also want to watch:
Council Leader, Cllr Des Brailey, said: "There are a variety of issues in South Molton, all of which are asking for financial support from North Devon Council. In the current financial climate, we've had to consider very carefully which projects to prioritise. We felt providing decent public toilets was a high priority so we are happy to support the refurbishment of the existing facilities.
"Although we've already invested heavily in the Amory Centre, it is a really important facility for the people of South Molton. We felt we should contribute towards the overspend to support the town council in providing a first class facility for local residents.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
"These are two issues that can be achieved relatively quickly, but we also continue to work on longer-term plans that we hope will benefit the town further in the future."
The Mayor of South Molton, Cllr Stephen White, said: "I'm delighted and very grateful that the meeting held with Cllr Des Brailey last week and the understanding reached between us for a more positive and closer working relationship has now borne fruit.
"The decisions by North Devon Council to immediately appoint a contractor for the refurbishment of the town's toilets, together with the contribution towards the extra expenses incurred on the Amory Centre, will be welcomed by the town council.
"I look forward to building upon the goodwill shown by Cllr Brailey and the Executive, as there are still other issues to be resolved which affect South Molton. However, we are now moving in the right direction."
Work will now start immediately to appoint a contractor to refurbish the toilets, so the project can get underway as soon as possible.