Council cash for Ilfracombe
Money will be ring-fenced for use in the resort
North Devon Council has committed �1.5 million to be spent on enhancements to Ilfracombe.
Members of the Executive yesterday (Wednesday) agreed to ring-fence the money for use in the resort.
The capital funding had previously been kept aside for a seafront enhancement project. The Executive agreed the money will still be made available to the town, while this and other opportunities are assessed.
Councillor Mike Edmunds, Executive Member for Development at Ilfracombe, said: “A lot of hard work has gone into looking at how we can develop Ilfracombe, not just along the seafront, but also other areas such as the harbour, High Street and employment space.
You may also want to watch:
“By ring-fencing this funding, we believe it will mean we can ensure the right, fully informed decisions are made for the good of local people and the local economy.”
Council Leader, Councillor Brian Greenslade, said: “The council is keen to see improvements come to Ilfracombe and by earmarking this money for the town, we hope it shows we are serious about getting the job done. We’ll now continue to look at all opportunities for the area, to make sure we are spending this money wisely and for the benefit of Ilfracombe today and in the future.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
Assessment of all potential opportunities will now continue, with North Devon Council working closely with the private sector, so that Ilfracombe gets the best economic return from the council investment.