Council callers will help make sure of your vote
RESIDENTS of Torridge district who have not filled out and returned their Register of Electors form can expect a gentle knock on the door shortly. The council has employed 21 canvassers to visit properties where no form has been returned. The forms are us
RESIDENTS of Torridge district who have not filled out and returned their Register of Electors form can expect a gentle knock on the door shortly.
The council has employed 21 canvassers to visit properties where no form has been returned.
The forms are used to compile the list of people who can vote at forthcoming elections and are sent out to all households in the district. It is a legal requirement that residents complete and sign them before returning them to the council.
But this year there are currently 5,708 properties where no form has been returned.
You may also want to watch:
Paula Hunter, Electoral Services Officer, said: "Canvassers will try their best to visit each household. It is a legal requirement that people complete these forms and there is still time to do it by post, phone, text or even on-line. The more people that can do that, the better."
Householders are assured that each canvasser will carry an indentity badge and a letter of authority and will only door knock between the hours of 9am and 8pm. They have also been provided with an out- of- hours number that residents may call to confirm their identity.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
They will ask householders to check and sign the form for that address.
Door knocking will start from this Saturday, October 24, and may continue until Sunday, November 22.
The new Electoral Register will be published on December 1.
For more information call (01237) 428702 or visit the Annual Canvass website at: http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/