Costa Coffee reveals plans for second Barnstaple coffee shop
- Credit: Archant
Chain looks to set up shop in former Calor Gas showroom.
COSTA Coffee has revealed plans to open a second coffee shop in Barnstaple.
The firm, which already has a branch in Barnstaple High Street, is looking to set up shop in the former Calor Gas showroom, in Station Road near Barnstaple Railway Station.
A planning application seeking a change of use to use from retail to restaurant, together with associated works, has been submitted to North Devon Council.
The showroom adjacent to Barnstaple Retail Park has been vacant for a number of years.
You may also want to watch:
A design and access statement submitted by agents acting on behalf of applicant Loc8 (Barnstaple), said the development of the brown field plot would provide amenities for travellers to the adjacent railway station and retail park.
It said: “The development will utilise a disused building and land, bringing a beneficial complimentary use enriching the retail offering in the area.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 9 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
“The provision of retail and food uses are not uncommon on plots adjacent to retail park developments such as this provides diversity and choice for the adjacent users.”
The new coffee shop would provide 25 car parking spaces as well as cycle parking spaces.
Members of the public have until April 25 to comment on the proposal.