Residents’ opposition not enough to stop modern extensions to old building
CONTROVERSIAL plans to revamp Parade House on Woolacombe’s esplanade have been approved – despite strong local opposition.
North Devon Council received 59 objections to the plans from angered residents, which will see extensions and alterations to both sides of the 130 year-old building, plus the building of a new dwelling.
The work will create four two-bed properties and will also include restoration of the old building.
Residents urged committee members to refuse the application as Parade House is within a conservation area and any alterations previously given the green light in the area have had to adhere to strict rules to remain in-keeping with the character of the esplanade.
Local resident Stephen Brown said at Wednesday’s meeting: “There is intense local opposition to this totally out of character development. Surely this makes a mockery of the conservation area?
“This development will completely destroy the character of our beautiful sea front and I can see people in years to come asking how it was allowed to happen.”
Another speaker said plans looked ‘like Benidorm’.
But Parade House owner David Roydon said the new building would be ‘a great piece of 21st century architecture’ and agent John Woodward added this would ‘save this locally important building’.
Councillors agreed that the work would be of benefit to the local area.
“I think the architects have done a good job,” said Cllr Jacqueline Flynn. “What is ugly to some people is progress and improvement to others.”