Controversial Barnstaple gates come down

TWO sets of controversial gates were removed by Devon County Council s highways department on Thursday morning. Metal barriers at Rock Park Terrace and Prospect Place in Barnstaple were taken down as part of a legal order that followed a decision to estab

TWO sets of controversial gates were removed by Devon County Council's highways department yesterday (Thursday).

Metal barriers at Rock Park Terrace and Prospect Place in Barnstaple were taken down as part of a legal order that followed a decision to establish the two thoroughfares as public rights of way.

Talking about the removal of the gates at Rock Park Terrace, Cllr Chris Haywood, said: "Gates that took five minutes to put up have taken nearly three years of legal proceedings to take down.

"But we've finally got a decision to add the two lanes to the definitive public rights of way map and enforcement of the removal order has been carried out by the council's highways department.


You may also want to watch:


"I'd like to thank everyone for being patient but thankfully, we now have a satisfactory resolve to what has been a terrible eyesore and hopefully we have added to the safety of children and parents who enjoy the park facilities."

Doris Mawson, who has lived at Rock Park Terrace for 50 years, said she was "thrilled" that the gates had been removed.

Most Read

"It was such a thrill to see them come down this morning," she said. "It's much easier for me to get out now, especially in bad weather. I can now go to the shops at Newport without having to walk around the lodge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter