Consultation to open on £1million hospital roundabout changes
- Credit: Archant
Proposal for 40m diameter roundabout in Barnstaple open to the public between February 14 - March 14.
Devon County Council’s cabinet has today (Wednesday) approved plans to open up the proposed £1million works to the ‘Hospital Junction’ in Barnstaple to a public consultation.
The County Council is asking for people’s views on the scheme at the junction, which joins the Westaway Plain, the A39 North Road and the Roborough Road/North Devon District Hospital
The proposed design is a 40m diameter roundabout on land that is mostly public highway with a small amount of land being required from the field to the north east of the current Hospital Junction.
The consultation runs for four weeks from February 14 to Friday, March 14.
You may also want to watch:
Hard copies of the design will be available to view in the Hospital and Civic Centre reception.
Cabinet member with responsibility for roads, Councillor Stuart Hughes said: “This is an extremely busy junction with high levels of traffic and improvements are needed here.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 5 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
Local member for Barnstaple North, Cllr Brian Greenslade said: “I am glad the Cabinet did not take any decision other than to consult, with the consultation results being reported to Cabinet in May.
“A number of residents have expressed concerns to me about this idea so I would urge them to make their views known during the consultation.”
The roundabout’s design and construction are expected to cost approximately £1million, with funding coming from planning contributions.
For more information, visit www.devon.gov.uk/hospitaljunction People can email their views to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Highway Development Management, Civic Centre, North Walk, Barnstaple, EX31 1EA.