Conference for the future at Petroc
THE movers and shakers of tomorrow will tomorrow (Wednesday) be finding out more about preserving our world whilst building on it for the future at a Higher Education Sustainability Conference hoisted by Petroc in Barnstaple. The event for students will h
THE movers and shakers of tomorrow will tomorrow (Wednesday) be finding out more about preserving our world whilst building on it for the future at a Higher Education Sustainability Conference hoisted by Petroc in Barnstaple.
The event for students will highlight the role of sustainable development in the modern world and the need to improve the environment, preserve natural resources and make an economic and social impact
It is hoped by teaching and empowering future generations the graduates will be well equipped to respond effectively to these changes, set to become even more pressing as time goes on.
The conference will include a presentation from Nick Harrington, Head of Marine Energy at the South West Regional Development Agency. Nick is a graduate in mathematics and will discuss the development of the Wave Hub project at Hayle in Cornwall.
A further presentation will be made by Karl Morrison, the sustainability officer at North Devon Healthcare Trust, on the links between sustainability and the healthcare system. Karl is a former Higher Education student who graduated from Petroc with a BSc (Hons) in Electronic Engineering June 2009.
The students will also give a presentation on their view of sustainability from their own disciplines. As graduates they need to be willing and able to demonstrate an ability to respond effectively to change and to recognise its impact on the working world into which they aspire.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 7 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 8 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
There will also be displays to highlight the sustainability work at Petroc including access to the Eco House and the college's "green" cars which will be available for inspection.
For more information on foundation degrees offered at Petroc, contact the higher education team on (01271) 338100 or visit www.petroc.ac.uk.