Compete or die...
With reference to the story “Supermarket plans come under fire” (Gazette, December 5), a few years ago workers were being squeezed for their wages and were being told it was a market economy and we had to compete, as our jobs were disappearing to third world countries.
We were told market forces were the only way to live in this bright new world.
While this was happening the business owners were smiling as they pushed up prices as our wages fell.
Now the boot is on the other foot and all the workers can hear is whingeing from the shop owners.
If the town centre shopkeepers cannot stand the heat then they should get out of their businesses.
You may also want to watch:
Compete or die, I say. Bring on Asda, bring on Morrisons, and let the competition drive down our cost of living.
I also think we should watch the actions of the two councillors as they need to support their voters and not the capitalists.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council