Compensation for Equitable Life victims
VICTIMS of the Equitable Life collapse can finally expect compensation as Liberal Democrat MPs push forward new legislation. North Devon MP Nick Harvey has described the announcement as a massive relief for the millions of people who lost up to half th
VICTIMS of the Equitable Life collapse can finally expect compensation as Liberal Democrat MPs push forward new legislation.
North Devon MP Nick Harvey has described the announcement as a "massive relief" for the millions of people who lost up to half their pensions in the collapse.
The Equitable Life Bill, which was outlined to the House of Commons on Wednesday, will give the Treasury the authority to make payments to policyholders or dependents who have been fighting for compensation since 2000. A previous Liberal Democrat motion to get compensation for the millions of people involved was defeated in October 2009.
Nick Harvey said: "The previous Government continually ignored the millions of people who lost their savings. People in North Devon lost up to half their pensions in the fiasco, yet Labour failed to act, ignoring Liberal Democrat advice, ignoring the High Court and ignoring an Ombudsman report.
You may also want to watch:
"This Bill is a massive relief to thousands of pensioners and is long overdue.
I am delighted that something the Liberal Democrats have been calling for can now finally happen. We are using our position in Government to give policyholders the money they deserve.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 8 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges