Community project murals for Barnstaple Christ Church
TWO colourful additions have been unveiled at Christ Church in Bear Street, Barnstaple, in the form of murals created by art students from North Devon College. There is a Noah s Ark motif for the outside play area plus a circle of hands for the community
TWO colourful additions have been unveiled at Christ Church in Bear Street, Barnstaple, in the form of murals created by art students from North Devon College.
There is a Noah's Ark motif for the outside play area plus a circle of hands for the community room, renamed the Reverend Alan Finch Room in memory of the church's assistant minister who passed away recently.
Both areas are used by the Christ Church Pre-school as well as other community groups. Funding came from Devon Waste Management Ltd, through the Landfill Communities Fund while new outdoor play equipment was provided by a legacy from church member Maud Dockings, whose son Clifford and grandson Jack were there for the official opening.
"We spoke to a number of people about having a mural and decided to ask the college because we thought it would be good to have the community involved," said Gail Wall, the church families worker.
You may also want to watch:
"The students came down and had lots of discussion before presenting us with six different ideas to choose from."
The Reverend Terry Spencer added: "It's such a fantastic community project, with the church and college acting together to mutual benefit and for all the users of the premises, especially the children.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 6 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 7 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 8 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip