Community project murals for Barnstaple Christ Church
TWO colourful additions have been unveiled at Christ Church in Bear Street, Barnstaple, in the form of murals created by art students from North Devon College. There is a Noah s Ark motif for the outside play area plus a circle of hands for the community
TWO colourful additions have been unveiled at Christ Church in Bear Street, Barnstaple, in the form of murals created by art students from North Devon College.
There is a Noah's Ark motif for the outside play area plus a circle of hands for the community room, renamed the Reverend Alan Finch Room in memory of the church's assistant minister who passed away recently.
Both areas are used by the Christ Church Pre-school as well as other community groups. Funding came from Devon Waste Management Ltd, through the Landfill Communities Fund while new outdoor play equipment was provided by a legacy from church member Maud Dockings, whose son Clifford and grandson Jack were there for the official opening.
"We spoke to a number of people about having a mural and decided to ask the college because we thought it would be good to have the community involved," said Gail Wall, the church families worker.
You may also want to watch:
"The students came down and had lots of discussion before presenting us with six different ideas to choose from."
The Reverend Terry Spencer added: "It's such a fantastic community project, with the church and college acting together to mutual benefit and for all the users of the premises, especially the children.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 4 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon