Community champion Bruce honoured with top award
- Credit: Barnstaple Town Council
Ex Councillor Bruce Vernon has been presented with a scroll giving him the title of Honourary Burgess of the town of Barnstaple.
The title is in recognition of outstanding service to town and community over many years and the time spent involved in many organisations and charities, especially in the area of Pilton.
Mayor Alan Rennles said: “At a meeting of the Council held in July 2021, it was resolved that the Mayor and Councillors of the Town Council of Barnstaple Hereby conferred the title of Honourary Burgess of the town of Barnstaple to Bruce Vernon. It was a great honour to be able to present Bruce Vernon with this scroll. He is extremely highly thought of within the Town Council and the wider community.”
Cllr Val Monk said: “Bruce was always a big help to me when I was starting out, I would go up to him and ask him, “how do I do this” and he would show me, so I am forever grateful for his help. What he didn’t tell me was when I’d had enough to quit, so that’s why I’m still doing it now!”
Cllr Julie Hunt said: “In the 16 years that I have known Bruce, he has always had a quiet disposition about him and has always been very popular and well liked. Always supportive of new councillors and the organisations he’s been involved with. I am delighted that he has been bestowed this honour.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Arthur Windsor said: “When I first came onto the town council I tried to emulate Bruce’s ways. I had heard a lot about Bruce from my father-in-law John. It was one of the best moves I made, getting to know Bruce. He’s a top gentleman and one of the best councillors Barnstaple has ever had.”
The presentation was made in the Mayor’s Parlour with Bruce, his wife, daughter and grandchildren along with the Mayor and Mayoress, Alan and Sue Rennles, Cllr Val Monk, Cllr Julie Hunt, Cllr Arthur Windsor, Cllr Ian Roome & Cllr Jeremy Phillips.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising