Communities on show in Instow today
THE neighbouring communities of West Yelland, Instow and Westleigh are going on show today (Saturday) with events at Instow Parish Hall, on the beach and in the car park of the Commodore Hotel.
The annual summer event celebrates with a strong environmental theme the local distinctiveness of the three communities, with their environment of beach, dunes, wetland, rivers, sea, farms and woodland.
Children will start the day off at 9am with their crabbing contest on Instow Quay, while the judges spend their morning perusing the exhibits in a range of competitions.
The grand opening is at 1pm outside Instow Village Hall.
That signals the opening of a show of crafts, cookery , garden flowers and arrangements, vegetables, photography, art and poetry in the village hall.
You may also want to watch:
Then also comes the start of beach and quay contests, including sandcastle building, a French boules competition, cycle races, crab racing and a family dog show on the beach.
The hotel car park plays host to a novel ‘eels and ladders’ event and to music, including a wind ensemble, solo performers, Morris dancers and an all-age talent contest.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
At 6pm Instow in Bloom members lead a beach clean and shortly afterwards members of the North Devon Yacht Club set sail for a special cup race in the estuary.
There will be cream teas in the village hall, crepes and a barbecue on the beach.