Communism is not the answer
SIR – As one of many who fought for “King and Country” in the last conflict I found Mr Gidman’s letter (Gazette, February 23) extremely offensive.
He complains about the economics of our country and as a remedy decides to tell a named person of wealth what to do with his money. What a cheek!
The next solution is to call upon the services of the Communist Party of Great Britain to bring about an Egyptian style “revolution”.
I was serving in Berlin when that party erected a disgusting wall between the two halves of that city. Why? To prevent the proletariat from voting with their feet!
Mr Gidman needs to read Alexander Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago to find out how Communism treats the “people”. Does he remember that famous Hungarian Joe Bugner arriving in this country having escaped the communist crackdown? Our country has many faults but they will be corrected without the help suggested.
Bob Jackson, Torrington
- 1 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 2 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 3 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 4 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 5 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 6 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 7 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 8 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 9 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage
- 10 Young Jack strides out again for charity