Communism is not the answer
SIR – As one of many who fought for “King and Country” in the last conflict I found Mr Gidman’s letter (Gazette, February 23) extremely offensive.
He complains about the economics of our country and as a remedy decides to tell a named person of wealth what to do with his money. What a cheek!
The next solution is to call upon the services of the Communist Party of Great Britain to bring about an Egyptian style “revolution”.
I was serving in Berlin when that party erected a disgusting wall between the two halves of that city. Why? To prevent the proletariat from voting with their feet!
Mr Gidman needs to read Alexander Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago to find out how Communism treats the “people”. Does he remember that famous Hungarian Joe Bugner arriving in this country having escaped the communist crackdown? Our country has many faults but they will be corrected without the help suggested.
You may also want to watch:
Bob Jackson, Torrington
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened