Communism is not the answer
SIR – As one of many who fought for “King and Country” in the last conflict I found Mr Gidman’s letter (Gazette, February 23) extremely offensive.
He complains about the economics of our country and as a remedy decides to tell a named person of wealth what to do with his money. What a cheek!
The next solution is to call upon the services of the Communist Party of Great Britain to bring about an Egyptian style “revolution”.
I was serving in Berlin when that party erected a disgusting wall between the two halves of that city. Why? To prevent the proletariat from voting with their feet!
Mr Gidman needs to read Alexander Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago to find out how Communism treats the “people”. Does he remember that famous Hungarian Joe Bugner arriving in this country having escaped the communist crackdown? Our country has many faults but they will be corrected without the help suggested.
You may also want to watch:
Bob Jackson, Torrington
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 3 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses