Committee to look at parking charges for Northam car park
- Credit: Archant
The decision to introduce car parking charges at Windmill Lane car park has been called in to Torridge’s overview and scrutinty committee.
PLANS to bring in parking charges at a free Northam car park will come under scrutiny this evening.
Torridge District Council’s overview and scrutiny committee is due to look at the council’s decision at a meeting later today (Tues).
Councillors voted to bring in the charges at a meeting of the community and resources committee on December 2.
But the decision, which could generate around £2,400 a year in revenue, has been called by several councillors.
You may also want to watch:
The calling in notice said: “We appreciate the importance of income generation but we are of the opinion that the council will not make the projected income as the current users’, the residents, only choose to park there to reduce the impact on Windmill Lane and Churchill Way.
“The latter is of particular concern to the community of Northam and Appledore as it is a notoriously dangerous road with several terrace houses that do not have off road parking being right opposite to the junction at Windmill Lane.
- 1 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 2 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 5 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 6 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 7 Sam's Cider Festival lifts the spirits in Winkleigh
- 8 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Dramatic fightback victory for Bideford
“The likely increase in on-street parking could increase the risk of accidents.”
The proposals included charging 60p per hour and £3 for all day parking.