Commendations for hard working Bideford fund raisers
BIDEFORD’S Cancer research UK committee has marked a double celebration of raising �203,500 for the charity and the retirement of its chairman after an incredible 48 years.
At its AGM the group was presented with a special Certificate of Appreciation from Dawn Harrison, area volunteer manager for the charity.
Also at the meeting Basil Pidgeon, who has been a chairman and supporter of the committee for almost half a century announced his retirement. Basil was presented with a special certificate and thanked for the dedication and commitment he has shown. Stewart Philip has been elected as the new chairman.
Bideford and District Local Committee was founded in 1952 and the AGM saw long service awards ranging from 45 to five years for its members, who between them have supported the charity for a combined 208 years.
They are: Basil Pidgeon and Bill Wren, 45 years; Stella Philip, 35 years; Pat Blight, 30 years; Audrey Harding, Gill Badcock, Jim Badcock, 25 years; Pat Slade and Derek Gifford, 20 years; Barbara Jeffery and Dr Mike Cracknell, five years.
You may also want to watch:
This year has been one of the most successful to date, raising �13,395..
“To be able to thank a group of volunteers for their hard work and dedication and years they have given in support of Cancer Research UK is just wonderful,” said Dawn.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 6 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
“They are tremendous ambassadors for the charity. As well as organising the many fundraising events they work tirelessly within the community, helping to raise the awareness and importance of the charity’s work.”
Anyone who would like to support the Bideford Committee by helping with activities can contact Hon. Secretary Gill Badcock on (01237) 421461.