Comedian Tony Hawks makes ‘pig-a-thon’ pilgrimage from Ilfracombe
- Credit: Archant
Fund raising celebrity Tony Hawks is swapping fridges for pigs as he sets off on his latest charity stunt.
A tiny pig, a bicycle and a well known comedian will be setting off from Ilfracombe on Wednesday on a coast to coast journey of discovery for charity.
Author and comedian Tony Hawks, who hitchhiked around Ireland with a fridge and played the entire Moldovan national football team at tennis – is up to his old tricks again.
This time he is cycling from Ilfracombe to Plymouth accompanied by Titch the miniature pig from Pennywell Farm at Buckfastleigh, beginning his visit to Devon by spending last night at Varley House guest house in Ilfracombe.
He is making the trip to raise money for The Tony Hawks Centre for children with cerebral palsy in Moldova.
You may also want to watch:
Rod Chatfield, who runs Varley House with his wife Helen, was a little stunned when an email from the intrepid comedian popped into his inbox, requesting accommodation for the night before setting off on his latest endeavour.
Having read three of Tony’s books – including the fridge saga – Rod was delighted to be able to help out: “I think he originally contacted us because we are listed online as being pet friendly,” he said.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 5 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
“I’d read his books, so I knew who he was and also that he’d had a hit record as well with Morris Minor and the Majors, which a lot of people don’t realise.
“We were doing a Christmas dinner here anyway, as my daughter is visiting, and he was looking for somewhere to eat, so I said why not just join us? Then later we’ll be going down into the town to pubs and other places with the pig for promotional bits and pieces.”
After leaving Ilfracombe on Wednesday, Tony will cycle to Barnstaple and then on to Torrington, where he will spend the night. On Thursday he will set off for Okehampton and arrives in Plymouth on Friday.
Tony Hawks has appeared on numerous television and radio panel shows such as Have I Got News for You? His book Round Ireland with a Fridge was also made into a feature film, as was Playing the Moldovans at Tennis.
Anyone who would like to sponsor Tony can go to www.justgiving.com/Tony-Hawks.