Combe Martin parade work gets under way

Newberry Parade at Combe Martin, closed for several years due to severe battering by wind and tide.

Newberry Parade at Combe Martin, closed for several years due to severe battering by wind and tide. - Credit: Archant

After several years, work begins at last on plans to restore and reopen popular seafront walk at Newberry.

COMBE Martin Parish Council says it is delighted the ‘final piece of the jigsaw’ has fallen into place to allow work to begin on restoring and reopening a popular seafront walkway.

Planning permission was granted a few weeks ago, and a contractor chosen to carry out the works at Newberry Parade, closed for some six years due to major structural problems.

Devon County Council’s Investing in Devon panel has agreed to revise the grant for the Parade alcoves to enable the Parish Council to go ahead with a scheme to knock down part of the alcoves, landscape the adjoining land and re-open the area to the public.

Originally plans were in place to demolish the alcoves, but have since been revised to keep the archways intact. It is estimated the project will cost £63,000.


You may also want to watch:


The agreement was signed last week and with the final paperwork being completed, contractors have started work this morning (Monday).

Chairman Graeme Coombs said: “It is wonderful news. At last we have been able to instruct the builders to start the project, and we hope to have the Parade open in June.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter