Combe Martin Carnival Week begins on Saturday
THE biggest event in the Combe Martin calendar - the popular Combe Martin Carnival - starts on Saturday. The opening event at Hollands Park, is Wacky Races, including the Junior Wheelbarrow Race.. The Carnival Queen and her attendants will also be offici
THE biggest event in the Combe Martin calendar - the popular Combe Martin Carnival - starts on Saturday.
The opening event at Hollands Park, is Wacky Races, including the Junior Wheelbarrow Race.. The Carnival Queen and her attendants will also be officially crowned as part of the afternoon celebrations.
Then in the evening, music lovers are in for a treat with 'Music in the Marquee'. This free ticketed event will see a variety of talented artists performing for the crowds, including local sensation Amy Newton and Katy Shotter, who last year supported Beyonce on tour.
On Sunday, something not to miss is the Raft and Dinghy Races. Starting from 6.30pm. Local people and visitors can watch the spectacular sight at the beach, with home-made efforts braving the waters of Combe Martin Bay.
You may also want to watch:
Another highlight of the week is the Carnival Parade on Wednesday, August 12, which starts from 7.30pm at the top of the village (Holdstone Way) and ends near the beach. As well as a variety of floats and walkers taking part, there will be some other surprises along the way.
On Friday, August 14, the adult Wheelbarrow Parade and Race takes place. The event once again starts from the top of the village, with individuals and teams showing off their unrivalled imagination with this year's creations. The event then ends on the beach, where the annual fireworks display brings the carnival to a close.
- 1 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 2 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 3 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 4 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 7 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 8 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 9 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park