Combe Martin Carnival saved?

August event looks set to go ahead after new volunteers come forward at emergency meeting.

COMBE Martin Carnival looks set to go ahead as planned after new volunteers came forward to take up the reins at a last ditch public meeting.

The main event in the village calendar had looked set to fold after the outgoing committee stood down and there was not enough interest at a previous meeting to form a new one.

But at a packed emergency meeting on Wednesday organised by David Stephenson, who has chaired a number of previous committees, several volunteers offered their services to take the August event forward.

Mr Stephenson said they had also taken the names of some 40 people who were willing to act as helpers during the carnival.


You may also want to watch:


The provisional new committee was set to meet last night (Tuesday) and more details were expected to be known after that.

Of Wednesday’s meeting, Mr Stephenson said: “It was a good turn out, indicating that there is a unanimous feeling in the village the carnival should continue.

Most Read

“There’s no doubt the need or desire for a carnival in Combe Martin is as strong as it ever was. We had a new crowd of people coming forward to take it up and also the support of those people who will be helping and I think it is a good thing that the carnival has some new blood.”

If no committee had been formed by Christmas, funds held for staging the next carnival would have been distributed to local good causes.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter