Combe Martin Carnival is in full swing
CARNIVAL fever has gripped Combe Martin with the eagerly awaited event well and truly underway. On Saturday crowds gathered at Holland Park to see the crowning of Carnival Queen Charlotte Coombs, aged 16 and her attendants Aimi-Jayne Mackay, Abby Minns an
CARNIVAL fever has gripped Combe Martin with the eagerly awaited event well and truly underway.
On Saturday crowds gathered at Holland Park to see the crowning of Carnival Queen Charlotte Coombs, aged 16 and her attendants Aimi-Jayne Mackay, Abby Minns and Jasmine Clarke.
This was followed by Wacky Races, including the junior wheelbarrow race and there was free live music throughout the evening with a variety of bands.
On Sunday the annual Raft Race took to the high seas, with a packed senior race preceded by the junior raft and inflatable races.
You may also want to watch:
Team White Van Men stormed into first place - so quickly that they decided to go around a second time, just for the fun of it!
Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the main parade and not one to be missed. Hosts of floats and walkers will form up at Holdstone Way at the top of the village and set off at 7.30pm to make their way to the seaside.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
- 9 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
- 10 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
The hilarious wheelbarrow race on Friday evening is practically a second carnival. Fancy dress is compulsory and the racers will be setting off from Holdstone Way at 7pm. Racers must be aged 16 and over.
For the full programme visit www.combemartincarnival.com. Entry forms are available on the day of events or from the Top Garage, Post Office, Sue's, the Tourist Information Centre and Galleon Gifts.
Go to www.northdevongazette.co.uk to see pictures of Sunday's raft race mayhem.