Combe Martin Carnival is in full swing
CARNIVAL fever has gripped Combe Martin with the eagerly awaited event well and truly underway. On Saturday crowds gathered at Holland Park to see the crowning of Carnival Queen Charlotte Coombs, aged 16 and her attendants Aimi-Jayne Mackay, Abby Minns an
CARNIVAL fever has gripped Combe Martin with the eagerly awaited event well and truly underway.
On Saturday crowds gathered at Holland Park to see the crowning of Carnival Queen Charlotte Coombs, aged 16 and her attendants Aimi-Jayne Mackay, Abby Minns and Jasmine Clarke.
This was followed by Wacky Races, including the junior wheelbarrow race and there was free live music throughout the evening with a variety of bands.
On Sunday the annual Raft Race took to the high seas, with a packed senior race preceded by the junior raft and inflatable races.
You may also want to watch:
Team White Van Men stormed into first place - so quickly that they decided to go around a second time, just for the fun of it!
Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the main parade and not one to be missed. Hosts of floats and walkers will form up at Holdstone Way at the top of the village and set off at 7.30pm to make their way to the seaside.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The hilarious wheelbarrow race on Friday evening is practically a second carnival. Fancy dress is compulsory and the racers will be setting off from Holdstone Way at 7pm. Racers must be aged 16 and over.
For the full programme visit www.combemartincarnival.com. Entry forms are available on the day of events or from the Top Garage, Post Office, Sue's, the Tourist Information Centre and Galleon Gifts.
Go to www.northdevongazette.co.uk to see pictures of Sunday's raft race mayhem.