College announces further funding bid
Two new wings would provide a further 16 classrooms at Chulmleigh.
CHULMLEIGH Community College has signalled its intention to bid for more government cash to make a further raft of improvements to the school.
With work on a �1.8million project to build 12 new permanent classrooms already under way, head teacher Mike Johnson, said he was planning a second follow up bid to the Department for Education for funding for two new wings which will house a further 16 classrooms.
“We know the DfE is monitoring what we are able to deliver for the funding they have provided,” said Mr Johnson.
After waiting for decades for funding to do away with ancient crumbling temporary classrooms, the first of the new classrooms – designed for science, language, arts and music – are due to be finished next July.
You may also want to watch:
The steel frame was started a little over three months from the funding award and is emerging at a very satisfying pace.
“This building will be built and opened to students in less time than it took us to consult and debate with the last Government under their ill-fated Building Schools for the Future programme,” said Mr Johnson.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
“We applied for planning permission for the building before we got the money so we were ready to go as soon as we knew we were successful.
“After three failed attempts to win funding for these much-needed new classrooms, we wanted them to be ready as quickly as possible.
“With careful design and careful selection of our contractors we are demonstrating excellent value for money.”