Coldly going where no StarTrek has gone before
- Credit: Archant
More than 300 walkers brave chill easterly winds to take part in the annual Ilfracombe Rotary charity challenge, held this year at Woolacombe.
BOLD trekkers took to the coast at Woolacombe on Saturday for the annual night time charity StarTrek walk.
Although cold, most teams were able to make their way around the varied course without mishap and for once the obligatory March mud had taken the night off.
Sponsorship is still rolling in, but early indications are the event has raised around £30,000, with the Chemotherapy Appeal plus Children’s Hospice South West and North Devon Hospice as the three main beneficiaries.
Organised by both Ilfracombe Rotary and Ilfracombe Compass Rotary clubs, it was the first time the event, in its 20th year, had used Woolacombe as its base, rather than the traditional setting of Exmoor.
You may also want to watch:
A total of 58 teams and some 320 walkers were able to experience a wide variety of terrain and surfaces, including the South West Coast Path.
Both Rotary clubs would like to thank all those who helped make the event possible, with many people giving up their time to ensure it ran smoothly and safely, including Chivenor Air Cadets.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
A big thank you also went to Ilfracombe Foodservice and Philip Dennis Foodservice, which donated all the food and drinks served to walkers and volunteers during the night.
Finally, organisers thanked all the walkers for their great efforts and the sponsorship they raised.