Close shave for hospital's hairy doctors and nurses
A GROUP of male nurses and doctors are just a whisker away from raising �1,000 for the ShelterBox appeal. Eleven medical colleagues from North Devon District Hospital spent the whole of February cultivating facial hair to raise money for the ShelterBox ap
A GROUP of male nurses and doctors are just a whisker away from raising �1,000 for the ShelterBox appeal.
Eleven medical colleagues from North Devon District Hospital spent the whole of February cultivating facial hair to raise money for the ShelterBox appeal, following a challenge issued by staff nurse Andy Haydon.
And after a month of sponsored "razor dodging", they met last night (Sunday) to bid their beards farewell at a special "Shave Off" event at Buddy's Bar in Barnstaple.
Friends and colleagues were invited along to vote for the winners of some hotly contested awards, including "Manliest Beard" and "Smoothest Face", before bidding for the right to shave their favourite candidate.
You may also want to watch:
"We had a great night and raised in excess of �700, hopefully more towards �1,000 when the final sponsor forms are collected," said charge nurse, Mike Bayliss, who works on the Medical Assessment Unit, at NDDH.
"We've raised enough to buy one ShelterBox for Haiti but we'd like to keep collecting a little longer to be able to afford to buy another for victims of the weekend's earthquake in Chile," added Mike, winner of the "Smoothest Face" award. Gareth Bosence won the award for "Manliest Beard".
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
To donate money to group's efforts, a collection tin is available at the Medical Assessment Unit at NDDH.